Finland is a beautiful country with a lot to offer, but it may not be the first country that comes to mind when you think about sunny weather. Even so, it’s important to take care of your skin, even on cloudy days. In fact, using sunscreen daily is important to protect your skin from harmful UV rays and maintain your overall skin health.
Although Finland is located in Northern Europe, it still experiences periods of intense sunlight during the summer months. The UV index in Finland can reach levels of 7 or higher, which is considered high and can cause sunburn and skin damage. Even in colder months when the sun is not as strong, harmful UV rays can still cause damage to your skin. Therefore, it’s important to make sunscreen a part of your daily skincare routine, regardless of the time of year.
Why is using sunscreen so important?
- High UV index: Although Finland is located in Northern Europe, it still experiences periods of intense sunlight during the summer months. The UV index in Finland can reach levels of 7 or higher, which is considered high and can cause sunburn and skin damage.
- Skin cancer risk: Finland has a growing rate of skin cancer appearances. Using sunscreen daily can help reduce your risk of developing skin cancer by protecting your skin from harmful UV rays.
- Premature aging: Exposure to the sun’s UV rays can cause premature aging, including wrinkles, fine lines, and age spots. By using sunscreen daily, you can help prevent premature aging and keep your skin looking youthful.
- Pigmentation issues: Sun exposure can also cause pigmentation issues, such as hyperpigmentation and melasma. These conditions can be challenging to treat and may be prevented by using sunscreen daily.
- Overall skin health: Using sunscreen is an essential part of maintaining your overall skin health. Sun damage can cause a variety of skin issues, including dryness, irritation, and sensitivity. By using sunscreen daily, you can help keep your skin healthy and avoid these issues.
Tips for Choosing the Right Sunscreen for Your Skin
Choosing the right sunscreen can be overwhelming with so many options available in the market. Here are some tips to help you choose the best sunscreen for your skin:
- Look for broad-spectrum protection: Make sure the sunscreen you choose protects against both UVA and UVB rays. Both types of rays can cause skin damage, so it’s important to choose a sunscreen that protects against both.
- Choose a high SPF: Look for a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher. SPF, or Sun Protection Factor, measures the amount of UVB protection a sunscreen provides. Higher SPF numbers provide more protection against UVB rays.
- Consider your skin type: Choose a sunscreen that’s appropriate for your skin type. If you have oily skin, look for a lightweight, oil-free formula. If you have dry skin, look for a moisturizing formula.
- Check the ingredients: Look for a sunscreen that contains safe and effective ingredients. Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are common physical blockers that are generally considered safe and effective. Avoid sunscreens that contain oxybenzone or other harmful chemicals.
- Choose a water-resistant formula: If you’ll be spending time in the water or sweating, choose a water-resistant formula to ensure it stays on your skin.
- Check the expiration date: Sunscreen can lose its effectiveness over time, so make sure to check the expiration date before purchasing.
Remember to apply sunscreen generously to all exposed skin, at least 15 minutes before sun exposure. Reapply sunscreen every two hours or after swimming or sweating. In addition to wearing sunscreen, you can also protect your skin by wearing protective clothing, such as long-sleeved shirts and wide-brimmed hats, and seeking shade during peak sun hours.
By following these tips and making sunscreen a part of your daily skincare routine, you can protect your skin from harmful UV rays, reduce your risk of skin damage and skin cancer, and keep your skin healthy and radiant all year round.